Ko Patuwai te hapu,
Ko Ngāti Awa te Iwi.
Ko Te Whānau ā Tauwhao te hapu,
Ko Ngāi Te Rangi te Iwi.
“Kei Mōtītī koe e noho ana”
I suppose you are at Mōtītī as you can find no firewood.
There are many cultural sites of significance in this waahi which include –
- Te Moana nui ā Kiwa
- Mahinga mātaitai
- Te Tau Ōtāiti
- Te Moananui ā Toi
- Polyprion oxygeneios (Hāpuka)
- Haliotis iris (paua)
- Evechinus chloroticus (kina)
- Jasus edwardsii (koura)
- Marine life
- Rocky reef
- Kelp forest
- Open water
The oil & debris were a threat to:
- Wildlife, bird life, marine life & environment
- CoRexit risk to marine life
- Kaitiakitanga – inability to fulfill kaitiaki responsibilities.
- Manaakitanga – inability to share resources & kaimoana with manuhiri.
- Loss of Mana.
- The impact on the Mauri of Ōtāiti.